As you have probably noticed, there many replacement window styles and materials to choose from and selecting the right window can seem like a difficult task. However, knowing what key points to check off your list can make the replacement window buying process much easier.
1. Consider the type of framing material
Replacement windows can be made of vinyl, fiberglass, wood, aluminum, or Fibrex – all of which differ in terms of durability, energy efficiency, and aesthetic appeal – learn more about window materials here.
What you want to keep in mind is:
- Which window will provide my home with the most protection
- Which material looks best with my home’s exterior AND interior?
- What kind of maintenance can I expect from choosing this material?
- What do the experts recommend for the climate / area that I live?
2. Recognize the importance of energy efficiency
Windows can play a major role in energy consumption – including heating and cooling bills. Finding an energy efficient window can help lower stress on rising energy costs.
Some points to consider:
- Look at different types of glass choices
- Ask for the R values (thermal resistance) of the replacement windows you are considering
- Check if you qualify for a tax credit on energy efficient replacement windows
3. Think of your windows’ function too
Style is only one part of choosing new windows – they have to work too! There are many different construction types of replacement windows to consider.
Think about these factors:
- How much do you want your windows to open? Or not open at all?
- Do the windows need to open at all? Or do you want a bigger style to let in light / enjoy a view?
- Which windows are easiest to clean and operate?
- Do you want a combination of different styles?
4. Who can provide the best install?
The install is perhaps the most important part of the replacement windows process. Even if you buy the best windows, a poor install can haunt you (and your wallet) for years!
Here’s what you want:
- Make sure your windows are fitted properly
- Ask about warranties and replacement parts
- ONLY consider licensed contractors and window professionals!
- Get a second opinion
5. The beauty is in the details!
It can be easy to get caught up in the replacement windows jargon between materials, glass types, manufacturers, etc. What you really want are windows look good in your home and provide value to you and your family.
Do not forget to keep these in mind:
- Curb appeal – do the windows come in a trim, finish, or hardware that looks good for your home?
- Colors and accents – does it match your home’s aesthetic?
- Hardware – do the windows come with the accessories you prefer?
- Noise – if you live in a busy area and want a quieter home atmosphere, make sure you look at windows with noise canceling characteristics.
- Safety – this is a huge reason to replace windows – you want to make sure you make the right choice especially in a home with children, pets, and yourself included!
6. Compare quotes with replacement window experts
Have further questions on choosing the right replacement windows for your home? The number one best way is to compare quotes with the experts. Our panel of windows experts can give you their full honest opinion on the best options for you. So when in doubt, do not make any decision alone – post a question or describe your project on our Discussion Board. Get helpful, honest feedback when you need it!